Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Beans and onions

This holiday (well the 5th actually) I had to work for a few hours, but I came home to an empty house and lots of groceries! I had a plan to attack my house by cleaning it from top to bottom as well as make some fabulous eats...



On to the eats -


www.iowagirleats.com had a wonderful sounding recipe for baked beans that I thought I would try - I figured I could put them in the oven and then attack my dirty house! Plan worked well -


Ingredients -

All together now -
Ketchup and bacon really make everything better -


Side project - I decided to caramelize some onions for a quesadilla I was working on for dinner. In between washing windows and checking on the oh-so-good-smelling beans baking away, I sliced 2 large Vidalla onions and sauteed them in a little olive oil until soft. I then turned down the heat and let them do their thing for an hour. I would stir them every few minutes. They came out very dark and caramel-y.


Beans, post bake. And after several spoonfuls....

You can find the recipe here.

After sweating all afternoon in my house while cleaning - the house looks beautiful, btw.... I was ready for dinner! I had some leftover bbq brisket, so I made a quesadilla!
First - whole wheat wrap in hot pan, cheese on top. I used reduced fat cheddar.



Then I layered on some pulled beef brisket, caramelized onions and bbq sauce.


I topped with another sprinkle of cheese and flipped it on top of the other wrap already in the pan.


Brown both sides and make sure the cheese is melty and delish.
Enjoy with a scoop of baked beans! Yummo!

No comments:

Post a Comment