Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hormonal Monday

TMI? Sorry.

It's now Tuesday and I'm not so hormonal today, but I feel it creeping back.... more on the hormones in a minute.


First - breakfast of champions. I devoured my Chobani strawberry-banana yogurt so fast that I didn't get a picture of it! Use your pretty little imaginations on that one. Also, some fruit salad and some much needed coffee.


Our little kitchen at work has a Keurig machine. Which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love good coffee. Really good coffee. I buy Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts brand to use at home. I have a really nice coffee maker (however a French Press is on our wedding registry :) Now, a Keurig makes coffee really fast and efficiently, but it's not the greatest tasting coffee in the world. And we are not stocked with a vast selection of coffees to choose from. Nonetheless, it's coffee and that is what is most important.

What kind of coffee does your job offer???


Lunch was a cup of leftover broccoli pasta, lots of parmesan cheese too. My mother in law made this dish over the weekend at the shore and she makes awesome food, but sometimes she doesn't season her recipes. My fiancee and I are always baffled by this, he voices his concerns, I keep my mouth shut.... She grew up in a kitchen where mama didn't season with salt and pepper. Oh well, what can you do? Add parmesan cheese! It makes everything better.


On to the hormones....
Monday started as any other beginning of the week -
Alarm - 5:15am
Gym - 5:30am (25 minutes elliptical and a 15 minute shoulder workout)
Home - 6:30am
Work - 8:30am
Breakfast - Chobani strawberry and some fruit salad consisting of grapes, blackberries, strawberries, a few apple pieces and watermelon. And coffee, of course.

Ok so far.
Lunch was EPIC. Greens, roasted red peppers, grilled onions, grilled chicken, dried cranberries, goat cheese.........



AND another radish from my very own garden!

Aren't they beautiful?
And my latest obsession - Newman's Own Light Lime salad dressing. Seriously so good with the creamy goat cheese and the sweet cranberries.


I felt full and satisfied after lunch. That is, until the hormones kicked in. I needed chocolate and I needed it fast. My candy stash in my office is empty. Can you believe it? Empty? That's a mortal sin....
So, I rummaged through my bottomless pit of a purse and found 75 cents to purchase these....

I finished the bag in under 5 minutes. Not. A. Joke.


6 points for the whole bag, honestly, it could have been worse. Unfortunately dinner was going to be pretty points-heavy, so I made sure to set my alarm for the gym before eating (& enjoying the heck) out of the fiancee's "Wine Ribs". As he calls them.
At the in-laws.
Start with a pan and a little olive oil. Brown the ribs on both sides, then add sliced onion and whole garlic cloves. Cook for a few minutes. Add about half a bottle of red wine (consume other half while cooking - that's a requirement) and cover and let cook for about 30-45 minutes on low. The meat from the ribs will start to pull away from the bone and the liquid will almost be gone. The onions and garlic basically disintegrate.


I had 3 small-ish bones and I ate all of the onions and garlic that were left over in the pan - on a piece of bread.... More hormones kicking in?? Probably.



For those of you who are not Italian (like me), or have never experienced a truly home cooked Italian meal (it's life changing) there are vegetables every where. You have lots of rich meats and cheeses, but you can eat like a vegetarian if you really wanted. Case in point - the mom-in-laws cauliflower. Which was our side dish with the ribs. Cauliflower simmered with water and tomatoes until everything is falling apart. Then you add pasta. I has a cup of pasta and about 1/2 cup of cauliflower/tomatoes. Oh how good!

There was also green salad and fruit for dessert. So, all in all, not too bad. There was also wine. There is always wine. I love wine.
The alarm did go off at 5:15am this morning and I made it to the gym for 25 minutes of elliptical goodness and 15 minutes of weights (chest). I will probably go tomorrow too and then take Thursday off. We'll see. Have I mentioned how Earth-changing it is to get up and workout before I go to work? Seriously, it has been such a revelation for me. You should try it to! :)
Not sure what is on tap for dinner, but I have a banana hanging out here next to me to try and curb those hormonal chocolate cravings that find their way to my palate....
I know I have the strength, somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment