Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sunday eats


The besties drove from Atlanta, so they headed home pretty early Sunday afternoon, but the fiancee and I had some time to kill before heading for the airport. So, back to St. George's Street it was! Our cab driver from the wedding the night before suggested Harry's as a good place for lunch, so we took him up on his advice.


Harry's was tucked beneath trees on a small side street. The building was beautiful and the trees provided enough shade to eat outside.


We started with warm bread and an herb(y) butter mixture. So satisfying after a night of cocktails.....

It was a Cajun restaurant, so we had to have gumbo. This was probably the best I've ever had. Full of okra, shrimp, crab meat and veggies. My fiancee said he's going to re-create it. I can't wait for that day....

My man ordered the New Orleans seafood special. Scallops and shrimp in a creamy sauce on top of a fried grit cake. Yum!

I ordered the shrimp and grits, this is like baked chicken or a chicken burrito to me. I can tell the potential of a restaurant by how well they bake a chicken or how good a chicken burrito is at a Mexican restaurant. At a Cajun restaurant (especially in the South...) I get shrimp and grits. That will determine just how good everything else on the menu will taste. At least that's what I believe.....

This was great! Creamy and spicy. However I got full really quickly, I think the gumbo filled me up. But I ate a good amount and just left the rest since we were getting on a plane in a few hours. We walked a little bit more and checked out the rest of downtown St. Augustine. Cute bed and breakfasts, quaint hotels, good looking restaurants, I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment